October 9, 2012

The Dice Must Learn

Many of us have our own peculiarities when it comes to dice and die rolling. I wanted to pass along what one of my players once did in the past. Some may find it borders on the edge of eccentric unto the bizarre, but I find it amusing nevertheless.

Mike was having a bad night of die rolling, really bad. Now Mike actually usually has bad luck with die rolling, but this night it was too much for him. The game concluded and he went home...and went straight to the shed. He opened up his dice bag and set all his dice in a circle...around the vice. This was so they could all "see" what was about to happen. He then took the offending d20 and put it in the vise, and turned and turned and turned until the die shattered.

That was horrible enough but then he carefully picked up the pieces and put them into a small, clear container. And now whenever he starts to roll bad he brings out the container and places it near the dice he is rolling that night...as a reminder of what could happen to each of them.

Have you ever done anything similar or extreme with your dice?

3 comments:

thesethingsthatiwrite said...

I have zero superstitions, and that includes dice rolling. I know this makes me almost unique in the RPG community, but I have a friend who would often send his die to 'the cooler' if they misbehaved. i was sharing a house with him for a year or so, and after a while it stopped being weird to find d20s in your frozen meals...

Philo Pharynx said...

I know somebody like this. *shakes head sadly* All this does is train the dice to fear and hate you. Oh, they'll cooperate for a while, but then they will turn on you at a critical moment.

I prefer to take a more compassionate approach. I show my dice what I want by setting them all on their maximum faces. (or for roll-low games, I use different dice that I set on their lowest face) This way I encourage them to want to help me.

You should also know that word travels through the dice collective. Your sins and good deeds will come back to haunt you.

Doc Savage said...

Surely these people can't really exist... dice are just random number generators.