February 6, 2014

40th D&D - First Character Death

Day 6: First character death. How did you handle it?

I believe this was Filkar the Pickpocket. I'm not sure how he died, but I remember I couldn't play him anymore. It didn't really bother me, though there was a strange sense with the knowledge I couldn't play him anymore. It was not really a sense of loss, but rather the knowledge that something was beyond my reach or control.

In the early days we never ran any real campaigns. We would usually make new characters for new games run by new DMs (or old DMs with new adventure ideas). By default we never grew very attached to our characters simply because the next game would likely see us not playing the most recent character anyway. If a character lived or died had little affect on us because we weren't going to be playing them in the next adventure anyway.

It wasn't until we started running longer campaigns, especially campaigns that involved character-centric plotlines that the loss of a character would be felt more profoundly.


No comments: