February 2, 2014

40th D&D - Introducing D&D to Others

Day 2: First person who you introduced to D&D. Which edition? Their first character?

Another tough one I can't remember precisely. I started playing back in high school and there were a lot of us that started at around the same time. We all started introducing the game to our other friends...it was like the spreading of a plague. It didn't catch with everyone but everyone was certainly aware of it as we played during lunchtime in the cafeteria. However, that means none of us could say we actually introduced the game to someone individually.
So as to not seem like I am avoiding the question, I guess I will have to go with my sister as the first person I had personally introduced to D&D (Holmes). She didn't like it as much as me. I ran a couple of games for her, but she quickly lost interest.

We all started with the Holmes edition but we all moved over to 1E AD&D. I would have to say that 1E AD&D was the "official" game of D&D played during those early days.

It was weird, with so many games being run, no one ever seemed to latch onto a single character...or they at least didn't stick with me through the years. We ran the gamut of games with different people taking turns as the DM. Thus we had different characters all over the place.




No comments: