February 14, 2014

40th D&D - Significant Other

Day 14: Did you meet your significant other while playing D&D? Does he or she still play?

No.
However, she had played D&D before she met me. We actually met though a LARP (Live Action Role-Play) she was running and I was playing in. I had been playing in a LARP for some time at that point but always liked to try new things. She was running a LARP at the local university she had made up; it was a one-shot day of adventure. I remember the day ending and thinking she was cute but she had a boyfriend (fiance actually) so I didn't think of her again. Fast forward a couple of years and she started playing in the LARP I was a regular in. A couple of years later we started flirting in-character and it led to dating out-of-character. We've been married for over 18 years now.

We both started rpgs with D&D which led to other gaming experiences that ultimately brought us together.

We still game together. She is not a huge fan of D&D (she prefers more story/role-play oriented rpgs and D&D is inherently more combat oriented) but she is also willing to play in whatever game I want to run. Thus we've played 3E and 4E campaigns together (we came together after 2E). We just wrapped up a D&D campaign a couple of months ago and are playing in two new games right now (she is running 7th Sea for one and the second is a homebrew system run by a friend). At some point I'll get the itch to run D&D (likely once D&D Next has been out for awhile) and we'll be playing D&D again.

Side Note: My wife has been to GenCon, whereas I never have been.


No comments: